As a result of modern dental progressions, there are several ways that we can go about restoring the functionality and appearance of our smiles. One good way to do this is by receiving a dental crown. This device can be customized to blend in with the natural shade of your smile in addition to providing support to your neighboring teeth.
For more information about receiving dental crowns in Langley, contact our local dental practice today!
What are Dental Crowns?
Prior to making any decisions about receiving this particular treatment, it’s important to understand what a dental crown is.
A dental crown is a prosthetic that’s fabricated in a dental lab and recommended for patients who are dealing with damaged teeth. These devices can be made from a number of materials, including metals such as gold or silver, ceramic, composite resin, and porcelain. Porcelain is an especially good choice as it can mimic the appearance of your natural teeth and is very resistant to stains left behind by food and drink.
A dental crown is a special cap that’s made to fit over the top of your tooth. It acts as a shield for your teeth and preserves them against lingering plaque, tartar, and bacteria, and helps you chew your food properly too.
You’ll need to attend at least two separate appointments to receive a dental crown near you. First, your dentist will examine your mouth, take x-rays, and make impressions on your teeth. These impressions are sent to the lab where your prosthetic is created. In a few weeks, it’ll be ready, and you’ll return to the dentist to have it placed.
The Advantages of Dental Crowns
Receiving a dental crown from a dentist in Langley can benefit your oral hygiene in multiple ways, like the following:
- Protects teeth that are chipped or cracked.
- Can act as a replacement for traditional dental fillings and can cover cavities that are too big. They can also help protect teeth with fillings that are worn down.
- Holds fragmented teeth together.
- Helps restore dental implants and dental bridges.
- Improves the overall appearance of your smile.
- Can help reshape teeth.
- Provides protection to a tooth that has just undergone a root canal.
Anyone can receive a dental crown. If you take care to practice good oral health habits like daily brushing and flossing, and coming in for biannual dental cleaning and checkups, your dental crown can last up to fifteen years.
The Disadvantages of Dental Crowns
There are always two sides to every coin; such logic can be applied to dental crown treatment. With that said, there are some additional things to keep in mind before committing to anything:
- Dental crowns can be expensive. The cost of receiving this type of treatment varies as it depends on the extent of care that you require. Talk to your dental insurance provider for more details about coverage.
- Your teeth may need to be filed down and reshaped.
- Even though dental crowns are quite durable, they’re still vulnerable to damage and can become cracked or chipped from use. If the damage is extensive, you may need to have the entire prosthetic replaced.
- Crowns may be poorly fitted, and bacteria can sneak in underneath. They may also become loose and fall out.
- You can experience sensitivity to hot and cold after receiving the treatment.
Before committing to any type of dental process, be sure to speak with a dentist near you. They’ll walk you through each step of the treatment and address all your questions and concerns.
Here at Willowbrook Park Dental, we offer dental crown treatments to those who need them. Our staff very much looks forward to working with you to get your oral health back on track!